Jamaica, though a small island, has played its roll in the influence of global history. From its national hero’s such as Nanny and Marcus Garvey , the fearlessness, determination and pride instilled in the DNA of its offspring is something that just can not be shook.
Jamaica has influenced the world with being the inspiration for the creation of Hip-Hop and before that, birthing legends such as Bob Marley, who influences can be felt throughout the world, long after his passing.
Here are 12 Cool Facts About Jamaica
- It is one of only two current national flags in the world that do not feature any of the colors red, white or blue.
- Jamaica was the first country in the Western world to construct a railway, even before the United States! This was only 18 years after Britain!
- Jamaica was the first country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa.
- Jamaica was the first Caribbean island to enact legislation, “The Motion Picture Industry (Encouragement) Act” to promote the making of films.
- Very small snake population – There are very few snakes on the island of Jamaica. The mongoose was imported to Jamaica to rid the cane fields of rats in 1872. As an added benefit, the mongoose has killed off almost the entire population of snakes. So running across a snake is a rare occurrence in Jamaica.
- Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup. This was the 1998 championship.
- Jamaica stands strong in 3rd place on the list of countries to win the Miss World titles the most! The only countries to have won it more than Jamaica is India, Venezuela, and the UK, but considering the size of Jamaica, you have to say that this achievement is monumental!
- The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica, established in 1868, is the oldest in the western hemisphere!
- Jamaica has more multiple (two or more) live births than anywhere else in the world.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The bobsleigh team’s efforts inspired the film ‘Cool Runnings’.
- We have the second-largest butterfly in the world (The Giant Swallowtail).
Show Comments (0)